- “From January 2023 to June 2023, bots made up nearly 50% of internet traffic, with bad bots making up 30% of traffic. That’s down from 2021 when Barracuda research found that bad bots made up 39% of internet traffic“. (Tushar Richabadas, Barracuda)
- “51% of organizations are planning to increase security investments as a result of a breach, including incident response (IR) planning and testing, employee training, and threat detection and response tools“. (IBM Cost of a Data Breach Report 2023)
- “57% of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) have experienced a cybersecurity breach, with 31% of respondents stating that their business had been targeted by a breach in the past 12 months alone. Additionally, 29% of SMEs reported currently having no cyber insurance”.
This Ask the Experts session stems from a question originally posted on Quora titled “What are some alternatives to CloudFlare for protecting a website from DDoS and other attacks?“
In the fast-paced and ever-evolving landscape of cybersecurity, protecting your website from DDoS attacks and other common threats is paramount. While CloudFlare has been a go-to choice for many, it’s essential to explore alternatives to ensure a comprehensive defense strategy. In this article, we’ll delve into three powerful alternatives that cater to the needs of security professionals seeking robust protection for their online assets.
1. Akamai: The Global Leader in Web Performance and Security
Akamai is a renowned player in the cybersecurity arena, offering a suite of solutions that go beyond content delivery. The Akamai Intelligent Edge Platform is designed to enhance web performance while providing top-notch security against DDoS attacks. Leveraging a vast network of servers strategically distributed worldwide, Akamai ensures that your website remains resilient in the face of evolving cyber threats.
- Scalability: Akamai’s distributed architecture allows for seamless scaling to absorb large-scale DDoS attacks.
- Web Application Firewall (WAF): Protects against web application attacks with customizable security rules.
- Global Server Load Balancing: Ensures high availability and optimal performance by intelligently distributing traffic across servers.
2. Imperva Incapsula: Cloud-Based Security for Modern Websites
Imperva Incapsula, now part of the Imperva cybersecurity suite, focuses on cloud-based security solutions. This platform provides DDoS protection, content delivery, and a web application firewall to safeguard websites from a variety of cyber threats. Incapsula’s intelligent traffic analysis and machine learning algorithms detect and mitigate attacks in real-time, ensuring uninterrupted service for your users.
- DDoS Mitigation: Utilizes a global network to absorb and mitigate DDoS attacks, maintaining uptime during peak traffic.
- Bot Protection: Identifies and mitigates malicious bot traffic, safeguarding against automated threats.
- Application Layer Security: Offers a robust web application firewall to protect against SQL injection, cross-site scripting, and other application-layer attacks.
3. Sucuri: Website Security Platform with a Focus on Prevention
Sucuri, a well-regarded website security platform, takes a preventive approach to cybersecurity. It goes beyond DDoS protection, offering a comprehensive suite of security features to fortify your website against a spectrum of online threats. From website integrity monitoring to malware detection and removal, Sucuri is a holistic solution that prioritizes the proactive defense of your online presence.
- Website Firewall (WAF): Protects against OWASP top 10 threats, offering granular control over security settings.
- Global Anycast Network: Ensures low-latency DDoS protection by distributing traffic across a network of servers worldwide.
- Continuous Monitoring: Provides real-time alerts and monitoring for suspicious activities, enabling swift response to potential threats.
While CloudFlare has been a popular choice for website protection, exploring alternatives such as Akamai, Imperva Incapsula, and Sucuri can offer tailored solutions to meet the specific needs of security minded organizations. By diversifying your cybersecurity strategy, you enhance your website’s resilience against a dynamic and evolving threat landscape, ultimately ensuring a safer online experience for your users.
Have any questions regarding how to protect your website from common cyber attacks? Contact us and we will be delighted to assist you with your security and privacy needs. Make sure to subscribe to our mailing list to stay up-to-date with our latest security tips and tricks.